Sunday, May 2, 2010

Crappy Day

So yesterday Clint had the worst day so far here in the hospital. He has had really high fevers the last couple days again. It got up to 40.6 which is about 105 degrees, so obviously they are concerned about that. So they decided to take his central line out because they were fairly certain it was infected. So they filled him full of platelets and then came in to take it out. I only walked in for the last couple minutes but thankfully Travis was here with him, because I would've felt horrible if he'd been here alone for it. When I walked in he looked like death warmed over. His face was so pale and he was in so much pain he was shivering! Travis said it was pretty horrific, and I think both him and Clint had a hard time not punching the PA who did it! They didn't give him ANY pain meds at all! They just came in and ripped it out and then the PA was grinding & pushing on it (keep in mind it hurt to even touch anywhere near it) to try and squeeze all the infection out. They finally gave him some IV pain meds AFTER it was all over and luckily that seemed to work pretty fast. But I just really don't understand why they didn't give him pain meds or something BEFORE they tortured him! I think that the PA, Curt, better not show his face around here again or it won't be pretty!

He is still fevering today, his temp was at 39.8 last it was checked and the poor guy is shivering so bad. I just want to wrap him up in a big quilt but I know that would just make it worse. I just feel so helpless watching him feel so crappy and not being able to do anything to help him, I hate it!

In other news, we have decided to move to my parents house for now. I just think it will be good for the boys to have a little more stability, and from what we do know, even best case scenario this is gonna be a fairly long process to get Clint healthy. So yesterday I started to move some of our stuff over there and hopefully this weekend we'll be able to move all of our other stuff into storage. We are so lucky that we both have such amazing families that are willing to help us out so much. We love you guys!

So here's hoping and praying that today will be a better day! And keep your fingers crossed that we can get rid of these infections and especially these stupid fevers!!!

5 comments:

Kyle and Shanalee said...

wow. I can't even imagine. Amy & Clint, you are both so strong. Keep up the good fight.

What a blessing it is that you sold your house months ago, and you are able to move into your parents house. I'm so glad you both have a wonderful support system to help get you through this trial.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE let us know how we can help you! We feel so awful. We'd love to help you move or help with the boys. Just let us know :)

Jami said...

Ok...here's my nursing advice for the day. Wrap him in a quilt! And here is the reason so you can explain it to the nurses when they attempt to get mad at you. Shivering actually raises the core body temperature, so the shivering itself may make the fever worse. It is true that the quilt won't make the fever any better, but it might stop the shivering and make Clint more comfortable. I'm sorry about the fever. Hopefully his counts will start recovering soon. Oh, and you have my permission to slap the PA.
Do you need any help moving? Call my cell 699-0906 if I can help you.
Love you!

Laurie John said...

I am so happy you're moving in with your Mom & Dad - they are so awesome and I'm sure they will love it! I'm so sorry Clint is having to go through this, and especially sorry to hear about the pain. Praying they get that stupid infection under control - so grateful his blood counts are looking so good!
Hugs...

emily said...

You don't know me, but I heard about Clint's diagnosis from my neighbor Kevin Franson. My husband Erik was diagnosed with leukemia about 3 1/2 years ago, and reading through your blog I've remembered a lot of how things were for us. I'm happy to hear that Clint's round of chemo has gone well, I'm sorry about the problems with the central line - hopefully those issues will get better soon. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know your family will be in my prayers.

And I know your post said you've moved, so I'm guessing it is closer to the hospital - but if your boys ever need someone to play with, my boys love doing things downtown. Or if you ever want to talk to someone who know's what it's like to have sleepovers on a cot at the hospital...mleefaye@gmail.com.