Thursday, June 17, 2010

Stem Cells In

The transplant is complete!!! Clint handled it really well, no reactions or anything crazy, so that's good.
It all happened really fast. This morning they told us that it would probably happen around 5 or 6 but they'd let us know as it got closer. I guess they send them over to the U of U to get processed (or something). Well about 5:45 our nurse, Shelley, came in and said they just called and would be here around 6. But within about 2 minutes of telling us this, they showed up!
Here they are filling out all the paperwork. The cooler on the floor is what the cells were delivered in.
Doing more paperwork. I'm pretty sure Shelley was having a contraction during this picture. We were getting pretty worried that she was going to have her baby in our room! She was contracting the entire time! After the transplant it was shift change and we heard she called her husband to come take her to the hospital (she was delivering at IMC) because she was pretty sure she was in labor! I told her I knew Clint was her favorite patient but she really didn't need to have her baby's birthday be the same as his new birthday :) But we wish Shelley all the luck in the world, we'll miss her here!
Hanging the life saving stem cells!
Here's a close up of the stem cells, they really look like tomato soup! It only took about 15 minutes to put all of them in. It was really pretty anti-climactic!
So we were planning on having the boys come up and having cake and stuff but Nate was coughing the other day and I don't want to take any chances of Clint catching something :( So it was just Clint and I. But I did get him a giant cupcake with a big 0 candle because today is day 0! We also skyped the boys afterward and they sang happy birthday to him, it was pretty cute!
I wanted to get a picture with Clint and the stem cells together
Here is Clint with Shelley. She's definitely been one of our favorites!
In other news...they did have to put Clint on TPN today (IV nutrition). His throat is just so sore that he can barely swallow. They think he is developing sores in his throat from the radiation, at least they hope it's that and he's not getting sick from something else. But it is making it almost impossible for him to eat anything at all. He is in quite a bit of pain from it also. Plus he is having some pretty severe heartburn/acid reflux that's killing him. I'm hoping tonight he'll let them give him some pain meds so he can maybe get some sleep. I don't think he's slept much at all the last 3 nights.
But the nausea did go away so that's a positive. It is definitely a blessing that he is not puking with the way his throat is hurting him.
He is so strong, I am just amazed at his strength everyday! I have still never heard him utter a complaint since this whole thing started. I just wish there was something I could do for him. I feel so helpless. I love him so much!
I just want to give a quick shout out to a few people. First to Darren, thanks again for giving Clint these life saving cells of yours, you're the best. And to Denise, thanks for all your love and support, and for lunch today, you're so sweet. And to my mom & dad, I could not get through this without you guys. I am the luckiest girl in the world to have the two of you for parents and I love you more than words can say. Thanks for taking such great care of our boys, please give them an extra squeeze for me, I miss them so much! And last but definitely not least to a loving Father in Heaven who is always there for me.
Goodnight all!

2 comments:

Allison Owen said...

I am glad it went well! I thought of you both all day yesterday! I will keep you in my prayers! Hang in there Clint!

Laurie John said...

I hope you both can get some rest - I marvel at your courage. Let me know if it is okay to visit, I would like to come down again. Hugs...