Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stem Cells Out

So today was Darren's big day! He did awesome. It was a pretty long process for him. He had to be here at 7:30 and was here until about 2:00. And he has to do it all over again tomorrow. It sounds like they need to get a few more cells. It does sound like it causes a bit of pain, the dr's say it's because they are drawing out more calcium and stuff then your body can replenish right away. Hopefully his pain will go away tonight so he can get a good night sleep!
We were able to walk down and hang out with him for a little bit. Luckily Denise thought to have me take a picture of the two of them. The bag with red stuff hanging in the back are the all important stem cells!
And I just want to say thanks to Denise for going down to lunch with me today. Clint hasn't been able to tolerate the smell of food very well the last few days, so I've been eating lunch & dinner by myself, and it was so nice to have someone to talk to over lunch today! Maybe we can do it again tomorrow :)

Clint had an okay day today. He still doesn't feel great. He wasn't able to eat anything today (other than a couple popsicles, some juice, and a few bites of applesauce). The docs said that they'd let it slide today but if he doesn't start getting some calories in him soon they'll have to put him on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) which is basically just all his nutrition through his central line. But TPN can bring it's own issues so we are gonna try to stay away from it if possible.
So tomorrow is transplant day. I really can't believe it's here already. When we first found out we had to do a transplant it seemed like it'd be forever till we got to this point. But it all seemed to come together and now here we are. I'm not gonna lie, I am a little nervous about tomorrow. But I am also really excited! We really feel good that Darren's cells will do the trick and we can kick this leukemia to the curb!
Well I think we're gonna call it a night. Clint hasn't slept much the last couple of nights, and I've been staying up too late. So good night to you all. Oh and if you would, send your thoughts and prayers our way tomorrow, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2 comments:

Allens Downunder said...

We hope everything goes well tomorrow!!! We love you guys.

Mel said...

Hope everything went well today!! And Amy I would love to come meet you for lunch or dinner anytime you want. I can imagine that would get a little lonely. Next week I think I will go up there to get my blood drawn again so maybe then. I'll let you know. Love you guys!!